Thursday, February 11, 2010

Decorate - The Small Things

Decorating is so much fun! Colors and textures and arrangements, oh my! Remember the exhilaration as the first roller full of paint goes up on the wall?  The thrill of the hunt when finding the PERFECT piece for the empty space and SCORE, it was on sale. The agonizing  warm glow when arranging your furniture just so (for me it's moving things an inch this way and standing back and looking, then the lamp needs to be moved 2 inches to the left, then standing back, then the dresser needs to be moved 3 inches and angled just a smidgen more, then standing back ...). 
 
What do you do when the big (i.e. fun) things are done? (disclaimer: I'm not actually claiming to be done in any room in my condo). Can you bask in your accomplishments? Or as you relax and take a  final look around do you start noticing things, small things. Oh, how I hate the tedious small things.

Now I must admit I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I see a lot of small thing: the chip in the paint of the trim, the puttied over old lock holes in the door that aren't perfectly smooth, the exposed paint ridges where I removed the old toilet paper holder and put a new one, the mixture of gold and silver door hardware I inherited, the hing left on the frame where a door was removed years ago and now painted in place. I can go on and on and don't even get me started on my 55 year old plaster walls. But I digress.


What is good enough for you? I was taught at upholstery school that if you can't see it from a galloping horse, it was good enough (scary I know). Do you revel in the details of even the smallest decorating tasks?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kat -

    "if you can't see it from a galloping horse, it's good enough".......this is funny and fantastic. I will not forget this classic (scary, yes) rule of thumb.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete