Sunday, August 26, 2012

In the Kitchen - Rice Pudding



I just love rice pudding. It's my favorite treat. I've tried making it several times with limited success. Then I found the perfect recipe. It's so easy and tastes so good. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
1 cup whole milk
1 cinnamon stick

In a heavy sauce pan add one cup rice, two cups water and the cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until most of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Drain any extra water and return the rice and cinnamon stick to the pan. Add the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and whole milk. Stir. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly for 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick. Pour into a pan or bowl. It will thicken up as it cools. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface so that a skin doesn't form. Cool and then refrigerate. Eat when cold.

I'm a purist and don't add raisins to my pudding. However I have been wondering how they would taste. So next time I make it I'll combine 3/4 cup raisins and 2 tablespoons rum into a bowl when I start cooking the rice. Then add the raisins and rum into the milk mixture after you have cooked it for 15 minutes and stir to incorporate.

No comments:

Post a Comment