Monday, July 12, 2010

In the Kitchen - Dump Cake

OK, it's not the lemon sour cream pie I was talking about last week. I used the sour cream on baked potatoes and then didn't have enough for the recipe. I didn't feel like running out to the store, so you get a dump cake. I had a coworker who always brought in this cake for pitch-ins. It was a big hit.

1 can crushed pineapple
1 can extra cherry pie filling
1 box white or yellow cake mix. It really doesn't matter much. I used white because I had it.
2 sticks of butter (OMG - lots of butter)

Preheat oven to 350. In an 9"x13" pan dump in the can of pineapple with juice. Spread evenly. Dump in the can of cherry pie filling. Spread evenly. Dump the cake mix on top and you guessed it. Spread evenly. Cut each stick of butter into 12 pieces and spread evenly on top of the cake.

Bake for 1 hour.

Variations:

Use a pineapple upside down cake mix, add 1 cup shredded coconut and 1 cup pecans for a Tropical Dump Cake. Still use 2 sticks of butter.

Use 2 cans of cherry pie filling (no pineapple), 1 box chocolate cake mix, add 1 cup pecans and sprinkle 1/8 cup sugar over butter for a Black Forrest dump cake. Still use 2 sticks of butter.

Serve hot or cold. Vanilla ice cream is always a nice addition. Serves 12 (or more like 9 with a hungry teenager in the house).

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE dump cake!! I used to eat it as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love it too. I've often thought that it's so heavenly it should be called something more like Ambrosia Cake rather than Dump Cake.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is everyone insisting on showing me all of these yummy sweets today when they know I started a week long diet yesterday? LOL This looks and sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete