Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Best Food Ever

I just cooked the easiest, best meal of my life. It's all gone so I can't show you a picture. It didn't look like anything special - but THE TASTE! Fantastic.

This is not my chicken. I didn't realize I needed to take a picture of my chicken and just ate it too quickly to stop. My chicken looked similar but with broccoli. Yum!


I cooked a boneless, skinless chicken breast in some butter in a cast iron pan. Get the pan nice and hot on medium heat first. Then add the butter and quickly swirl it around then add the chicken. I used just simple Mrs. Dash season (Herb and Garlic) and sprinkled the breast liberally. Cook for 5 minutes. Add a little more butter. Turn over the breast and cook for 4 minutes on the other side. (I used way less than a tablespoon of butter total.) Also, my breasts are fairly thin. If you are cooking thick breasts add more time. If you aren't sure, cut open a breast to make sure its cooked all the way. No pink! Remove the chicken from the pan to rest on a plate. Add some white wine to the hot pan (I was drinking some inexpensive Pinot Grigio) - maybe a cup? Stir so the fond (the brown bits that stick to the bottom of the pan) are loosened. Cook for about 3-5 minutes so the alcohol evaporates and the sauce thickens. Pour over the chicken. I had some steamed broccoli on the plate also. It did a good job soaking up some of the sauce. Seriously, I wanted to lick my plate clean.

OK. I know this is so easy. I read cooking magazines and watch cooking shows all the time. This is basic stuff. But I've never done it before. I'm not sure why. It just seemed like too much work? Or maybe not worth it? I'm pretty much a lazy cook. I will never make chicken the old way again (dry, in a non-stick pan with some seasoning). I can only imagine what it would taste like if I cooked a few onions first, then added mushrooms and garlic then the chicken. Used fresh herbs. Maybe with a red wine. Ohh... a little heavy cream. But even if I don't do that other stuff, just bottled seasoning, butter and a little wine blew me away!

It's like a whole new world opened up for me. What else can I cook that is easy and quick but I think its too difficult? I've been wanting to make homemade bread but it seemed too time consuming. (Even though I've read a book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day maybe 1/2 dozen times but never tried it).

I have two chicken breasts defrosting so I can make it again tomorrow night. (I buy a 3 lb pack of individually packaged skinless, boneless, frozen chicken breasts. It's basically what I eat every night. When they go on sale for $5.99 for the 3lbs I stock up. I have 1/2 of my freezer full of individually packaged chicken breasts.) Darn, I'll have to open a new bottle of wine Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment