Monday, August 19, 2013

Zucchini Bread

This is all that's left! Good thing I took pictures when I did.
 Its that wonderful time of year ... zucchini and summer squash are taking over! I made zucchini bread last night. It's a big challenge cooking in my tiny kitchen. Yikes! It would have helped if I didn't have several dirty dishes sitting on the counter to wash, a large fruit bowl, my espresso machine and a Britta water pitcher. And this is all the counter space in my kitchen. T.I.N.Y. (Look! A picture of the new paint color! Hopefully soon I'll get around to updating pictures of this space).



Anyway I used this recipe from a September 1981 issue of Decorating Crafts Ideas. This has been my go to quick bread recipe for many many many years. Yes, I'm old. You can swap out the zucchini with little to no changes for carrots, sweet potato, apple, etc. Its a great basic recipe.


3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I always double it  because I like it)
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice drained
2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium)

Combine flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon set aside.

Beat eggs lightly in a large mixing bowl; add sugar, oil and vanilla; beat until creamy.

Drain pineapple. Stir in pineapple and zucchini

Add dry ingredients, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter into 2 9x5 loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans. Turn out on a rack and cool completely. Yield 2 loaves.

This is yummy bread. The pineapple and zucchini make it so moist.  I've got one loaf to eat now and one to freeze. I also have about 6 more zucchini in my refrigerator so I think I've got more bread in my future. Next time I'm going to make them in a muffin tin for a little bit easier portion control. I can get carried away eating this! You can also bake them in a bunt pan for 45 minutes and it looks a little more fancy.

Give it a try. You'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment