Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 - Do Something



What is it about setting goals for the year? 2013 I set some personal and house goals. I accomplished very little. Out of the 5 areas I wanted to focus my personal life I accomplished 2: I got a new job closer to home that meets my needs and I like and I lost about 28 pounds (although I'm sure I've gained several over the last 2 weeks!). The other 3 areas I made almost no progress and had quickly forgotten the goals shortly after making them. With the house goals I focused on areas that weren't part of my goals list and made little to no progress on the areas I said I was going to focus.

Things have to change. I love the process of setting goals however I think I set too many goals and quickly become overwhelmed with all the changes I need to make. And really I'm kinda lazy. I would much rather spend free time on my computer trolling Pinterest and Craigslist. I'm great at ideas and lousy at implementation. I even delay things like laundry and grocery shopping and general housework. I want to do things like take a sewing or cooking class but I hesitate for some reason. I'm kinda just watching life go by not actively living it.

There is a movement One Word 365 which advocates choosing one word to focus on for 2014. I really like this idea. Simple, to the point and easy to remember. I think my word for 2014 is DO.  I just need to get going.  I don't need to finish things. I'm not concerned with being "done" with something this year. I just want to make progress. I need to just get up and do something.

“What one does is what counts. Not what one had the intention of doing.”
Pablo Picasso

"Do it badly; do it slowly; do it fearfully; do it any way you have to, but do it.”
Steve Chandler, Reinventing Yourself: How To Become The Person You've Always Wanted To Be

“Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting; in the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard, reaching for the highest that is in us, becoming all that we can be.”
Zig Ziglar
http://nwbooklovers.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Just-Do-It.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment