Friday, March 8, 2013

Bedroom Mood Board

Emerald Bedroom


I'm wasting time, not doing what needs to be done for the day. I have to either go to Ikea and return some curtains or do laundry. Yet here it is almost 2:30 pm and I sit, playing on the computer.

As you know I've been frustrated with my house - stuck on how I wanted to finish decorating. I'm working on the kitchen and making slow but steady progress. I have a detailed plan that I'm happy with. It seems like all of a sudden since I've been focused on the kitchen my creativity has begun to flow for the other rooms in the condo also. I feel unstuck!

So late last night when I couldn't sleep I was thinking about my bedroom. I have most of the items already purchased in the mood board above. But I had no color direction. Everything is black and white with some gold (except the dresser is currently brown wood). I needed a background color. I've gone thru a long list: soft pink, fuchsia, pale blue, aqua (before I decided to paint the kitchen aqua), gray, white, a gold stenciled geometric on one wall, black and white stripes. Ugh! Yet another room where I couldn't make decisions. But last night I thought green. I've had a green bedroom since I was a small child. It makes me happy and calms me down. Why reinvent the wheel? Go green!

I pulled out my paint swatches (what - don't you have a pile of paint swatches around in various colors?).  In the past my green bedrooms have been either in the sage green or forest green family. I needed a green that fit the color story of the condo - turquoise, aqua, leaf green ..... and emerald! I know its super trendy right now. But I want a dark, vibrant green that fits in with the rest of the condos colors. And I'm not doing a little accent color or wall, I'm doing the entire room! Gotta love me some color. In my defense there is a lot of white and black to ground the room so it won't be too crazy.

So here is the current plan for the bedroom:

  • Paint the room emerald green
  • Make an upholstered headboard in black chinoiserie fabric - already have the fabric
  • Purchase malm dressers from Ikea and use O'verlays to zhush them up for nightstands (I desperately need more storage)
  • Hang sheer zebra drapes - already own
  • Hang the chandelier (or maybe replace the current broken ceiling fan with a cute one ((do they make cute ceiling fans?)). - already own chandelier
  • Upholster the chair in a greek key print - already have chair and fabric
  • Paint the dresser in ombre (another super trendy thing. Maybe just paint it white instead of the current wood tone?)
  • I already own the lamps and shades
  • I just purchased a Jonathan Adler for JCP pillow for the bed in black
  • I already own the white gathered duvet
  • Purchase new sheets in a complimentary color
  • I already own the sunburst mirror
  • Bring in a plant or two (the room needs some life)
  • Make / purchase art for one wall
  • Purchase split queen box springs - MEASURE FIRST!!! (my single queen box spring wouldn't fit up the stairs, so I purchased a platform bed, which I disliked. So I sold the bed a couple weeks ago and am sleeping with the mattress on the floor (I feel like I'm 20 and in my first place) until I purchase a split queen box spring and a hollywood bed frame. 
 So that is the plan. Just to be clear, I'm working on the kitchen first. I just needed to get this out of my head and on paper so I can stare at it late at night and pick it apart.

What do you think? Would you use emerald green in your interior or stay away because its trendy?

No comments:

Post a Comment